Monday, April 25, 2011

3d. Turning the Light back on.


Lights off!

Last time I said I would add some black shapes to the water in the foreground before adding light. Now that is done and I will proceed to adding the light.

My strategy is to start in the very back and work forward. I know I have to put in a light source. I  am looking for a contrast between the cool blues and violets of shade and shadow, against the warm yellow light created by an artificial light source.


For my yellowish light, I am building my palette with these colors. I have wiped the palette clean. The blues you see are from dried paint with a slight film leftover.

I decided that I would place a strong light on top of the metal building behind the boats. The building is the Casterline's Fish House in Fulton, Texas. The actual building is yellow, so I will emphasize the yellow under the light.


From this photo you can see that I am starting on the left side of the building with a strong yellow light. I'm using the paint a little loosely. I want to keep some of the underpainting coming through the yellow for texture.


I just keep moving on across the building with the yellow light. I want the scene to be totally divided between the building, the lighted area behind the boats, and the still moonlit water in the foreground. I already have a strong composition with the boats coming out at you. Now its a matter of adding "drama" with the lighting.


You can see a small black square at the roofline of the building. I plan on making that my lights source. First, I just want to get this yellow color in place. I am loosely going around the black shapes from the boats at this point. I will go back over these black shapes later and add the light to them.

Now I have come to a tricky part –– fading the light away from the light source. To do so I found some wet areas on my palette that still had some blue.


So, by dragging some of my yellowish paint into this blue area I started picking up some bluish green color. I started out with just a little



You can see here how I kept adding more and more blue as I painted towards the right. I think this looks about right at this point. I had to be careful not to let it get too green (ie: yellow and blue make green). This would be a warm to cool transition. Not for sissies!


Now, I have added in my light source by painting white over that black square on top of the building......some sort of industrial looking light.


I started adding white to the yellow close to the light and some light on the edges of the metal seams. I also went back in and reduced the thickness of the black lines. I thought they were too exaggerated the way I had them. This way, the light seems stronger.


And here is how it looks at the end of this session. I'm starting to visualize how the light will come forward. I have a one-point perspective light source. In other words, I can draw a straight line from the light to the different parts of the boats that will cast light and shadows from the light. That's where I will begin next time.

Looking for DRAMA here!

No comments:

Post a Comment